Transportation is not included with your trip.
Public transportation for your trip is not an option once you get to Port Alberni.
We recommend that you rent a vehicle from Budget Rentals in Comox. Port Alberni only has one rental agency and it’s Budget. We’ve worked with Jim, James and the crew in Port Alberni since 1999. The Budget in Comox and Port Alberni have the same ownership group which is helpful if you have any problems or need any changes.
Notice: Reserve your vehicle early. For the summer of 2019 the price of a crew cab (5 people) is $499 Can for the week with 700 free km (lots).
You will also have to get your kayaks and gear to your put-in destination for your trip.
You have two options:
- If you have experience pulling a trailer and can demonstrate your skills to us at our acreage in Port Alberni, you can use our kayak trailer. You will leave your rental truck and trailer at your put-in destination where it will be waiting for you when your return. This option gives you the most flexibility for when you start and stop your trip.
- Batstar can deliver your kayaks and gear to the put-in destination.
We will be using a crew cab truck and can also take 4 guests with us, which should reduce your need for a second vehicle.
If you pick this option, your driver will help you unload and pack out your gear into the kayaks. This will definitely save you time and get you on the water earlier on your first kayaking day.
The fee is $1,100 for pick up and delivery to any of the destinations we service.
You will need to rent a truck if you’re going to:
- The Broken Group Islands (starting at Secret Beach in Toqhuart Bay, Loudon Channel.
- The Deer Group Islands (starting at Grappler Cove in Bamfield)
because you have to go on a gravel road. 14 km of gravel logging road to Secret Beach and 75 km of gravel logging road to Bamfield. Rental companies will not allow anything but a truck for gravel road.
You do not need a truck to if your destination is:
- Clayoquot Sound (starting in Tofino at the Government Dock)
because you are on paved roads all of the time.
If you are pulling the trailer of kayaks yourself, make sure to indicate that you need a tow package. This is critical. We have the 2″ receiver for the truck to tow the trailer with.
At all destinations you will leave your vehicle there while you paddle. There easy to use designated parking in Bamfield and at Secret Beach. You can park in Tofino but it might take up to an hour to park your vehicle and trailer and return to the beach to start your trip.
The average price to rent a crew cab truck for the week is $700. They can fit 5-6 adults.
Time and Distance from our Acreage to:
Secret Beach (Broken Group Islands) 94 km & 1 3/4 hours
Grappler Cove (Deer Group Islands) 98 km & 2 hours
Tofino (Clayoquot Sound) 126 km & 2 hours